The scary facts about work safety. We lost 23 people in Victoria last year due to poor safety and training not being up to date.
Following is an excerpt from Work Safe Victoria:
A total of 23 people died in Victorian workplaces last year, according to provisional figures released today by the Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA).
Seven of those deaths occurred in the final two months of the year.
VWA Executive Director of Health and Safety, Len Neist, said families and fellow workers of those tragically lost in 2014 face a sad start to 2015.
“Our message to all Victorians as we head into a new year is a simple one – please make workplace safety a priority,” he said.
“We want all Victorians to come home safe every day. Make sure you put safety first and make sure your employees and your workmates do the same.”
FATALITIES IN 2014
- A farm worker, 28, riding a quad bike was killed when he drove into the path of a truck at Bungador.
- A 71-year-old man was run over by the tractor he was operating on an orchard near Shepparton and died in hospital two days later.
- A wheelchair-bound man, 22, undertaking activities at a day centre in Werribee, was found face down in a pond. He died in hospital the following day.
- A logger, 54, died after being hit by a falling tree at Gellibrand.
- A truck driver, 58, died after being crushed between the trailer of his truck and the front of a prime mover at Brooklyn.
- A man, 55, operating a tree harvester at Myamyn, was crushed while undertaking maintenance work on the harvester.
- A 22-year-old man lopping tree branches in Highett was electrocuted after coming into contact with overhead power lines.
- A painter, 73, died after falling from a ladder at a house in Box Hill North.
- A dock worker, 42, died when a trailer being loaded onto a ship at Port Melbourne ran over him.
- A carpenter, 30, was crushed when a brick wall collapsed onto him at Brighton East.
- A 42-year-old bobcat operator died at a Wodonga foundry when a large piece of hot cast fell through the windscreen, trapping him in the cabin.
- A 45-year-old contractor struck on the head by the drilling rig he was operating in Ascot Vale in September, 2013, died of his injuries.
- A 45-year-old man working at a factory in Campbellfield was crushed underneath a cage used for flattening cardboard boxes.
- A 12-year-old boy died when the quad bike he was riding rolled on top of him at Jancourt East.
- A subcontractor, 53, was found dead in a screw conveyor at the bottom of a silo in Tongala.
- A farm worker, 28, was crushed when a silo collapsed onto him at Underbool.
- A man, 27, hand weeding in bush at Jarrahmond in East Gippsland was bitten by a tiger snake and died several days later in hospital.
- A boy, 15, died when the forklift he was operating at a pea farm in Mooroopna rolled onto him.
- A contractor, 58, fell onto a concrete floor after falling through corroded roof sheeting at a warehouse in Narre Warren North.
- A 79-year-old retired farmer from Greta South died when the tractor he was performing maintenance on rolled backwards, crushing him.
- A nine-month-old boy died of his injuries several days after being struck by a forklift in an automotive garage at Moolap, near Geelong.
- A contractor, 66, died when the tractor he was operating rolled over him on a farm at Nar Nar Goon North.
- A 59-year-old woman died when the quad bike she was riding rolled down an embankment on a cattle farm in Devon North.
Click here to read full article.